Transform Favorite Moisturizer into Sunscreen

For many of us with sensitive or acne-prone skin, finding the right moisturizer is hard enough, but finding a sunscreen that doesn't irritate, clog pores, or sting can be next to impossible.

I've been experimenting with making my own sunscreen, and I've found that my favorite moisturizer is an excellent base for a zinc oxide sunscreen or sunblock. Although I do love Keys Solar Rx, it still leaves much to be desired since it can feel a bit too greasy during the summer.

Making my own sunscreen has been much easier than I thought! I don't make it in batches, so I really don't need any special equipment or containers. Here's what I do:

Favorite moisturizer now a sunscreen!

1. Squirt out the moisturizer on my fingers; in this case it's CeraVe PM lotion,
2. Dab one of my fingers into my zinc oxide powder,
3. Rub my fingers together to mix it, and apply.

Or, you can make your own lotion with only THREE ingredients. Here's the recipe and the steps.

To add a tint, see this post.

My favorite moisturizer is now my favorite sunscreen too! I haven't tested the SPF yet, but I know it's higher than wearing nothing.

There are several features about this sunscreen that I love:
  • It's physical-based sunscreen, so it never stings, even after a peel;
  • Zinc oxide has been shown to accelerate healing and it calms irritated skin, so it's a good additive;
  • already know the base moisturizer doesn't break me out;
  • don't have to talk myself into wearing sunscreen now;
  • I'm skipping the expense of buying an additional product that may or may not work with my sensitive skin;
  • I can adjust it by adding more or less zinc oxide or moisturizer;
  • I know what's in it.
Using zinc oxide powder can be potentially harmful if inhaled, so I am very careful not to breathe in the powder or use it in an area that has air movement that would disrupt the powder. I also do not pour it; I gently spoon the powder from the bag. I’ve also read several studies on the safety of micronized particles, so I feel very comfortable using them.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Gabi,
    It's me, Barb. I no longer have a few accounts - so I am anonymous, to an extent lol. LOVE THIS! Would also like to tint it. With as little as chemical interference as possible. Would love to moisturize, screen and have color - all organic! Or, as close as possible. Can this be done?
    Thanks so much.

    ~~~Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, Hello! I added color in a different post using turmeric, which is a great antioxidant. You could do the same here, but you'd probably want to make small batches since that would be an additional step. Here's the link to that post:
      http://mychemicalpeel.blogspot.com/2012/04/boost-healing-and-protection-after.html

      Delete
  2. Finally, an issue that I am passionate about. I have looked for information of this caliber for the last several hours. Your site is greatly appreciated.

    chemical peel utah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally, an issue that I am passionate about. I have looked for information of this caliber for the last several hours. Your site is greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete